Hello Darren,

The bitrate can pretty much range from less than 100 bytes a second (when
XEP-0138 compression is used) to several kilobits per second (with Natural
Typing at 300ms transmission intervals).  Even at the worst case scenario,
several kilobits per second is less bitrate than a cell phone call.  Also,
zero bandwidth is used when typing is not occuring.  Also, there is a huge
amount of variables that determine the bandwidth, some of which can be
controlled by the software implementation:

The biggest impact on bandwidth of XEP-0301 are as follows:

(1) Is key press intervals being preserved? (Natural Typing) (uses more
bandwidth)
Section 6.1.1 at http://xmpp.org/extensions/xep-0301.html#text_presentation
Animation: http://www.realjabber.org/real_time_text_demo.html

(2) What transmission interval is being used?   (shorter uses more
bandwidth)
Section 4.4 at
http://xmpp.org/extensions/xep-0301.html#transmission_interval

(3) Is XEP-0138 stream compression being used?  (uses less bandwidth)
See  http://xmpp.org/extensions/xep-0138.html

(4) Are you using an optimized XMPP server that keeps headers compact?
(i.e. eliminates a lot of XMPP payloads such as noarchive indicators or <x>
tags).  This overhead is added by Google Talk's servers and adds an
additional >100 bytes per <message> packet.

Also, to help get started if you wish, are welcome to take my Apache 2.0
source code (commercial use allowed) to help make it easier to implement
XEP-0301 in your network:
C# --
http://code.google.com/p/realjabber/source/browse/trunk/CSharp/RealTimeText.cs
Java --
http://code.google.com/p/realjabber/source/browse/trunk/Java/src/RealTimeText.java

My XEP-0301 standard is designed precisely for the purposes you're
interested in!   Once you can answer the variables #1,2,3,4, I can give you
more accurate bandwidth estimates to your questions.

Cheers,
Mark Rejhon, deafie & computer programmer
Author of XEP-0301

<<image001.gif>>