Good -- but also misses a major other user for real-time text, especially with
elders, and that is captioning.  Also for text one way and audio the next.

Without making it much longer - we can include these important but often
overlooked (in an attempt to be brief) methods of communication.

Addition to what Gunnar Hellström wrote On Jul 9, 2012, at 5:24 PM, :

> 8.3 Textphones (Including TTY)
> Real-time text is implemented in assistive text telephone devices that
> operate on the PSTN (called TTY in North America), using various text
> telephone modulation protocols such as those specified in ITU-T V.18 and its
> annexes (e.g. Baudot, DTMF). It is possible to implement gateways between
> them and XEP-0301 based real-time text, that can be combined with an audio
> protocol e.g. XEP-0166 (e.g. for alternating audio and text or text one way
> and audio the other).

 8.x  Use for Captioned Telephony
XEP-0301 based real-time text can be combined with an audio protocol e.g.
XEP-0166 to provide captioned telephony and can interoperate via gateways with
other IP-based captioned telephony protocols such as SIP VoIP with RFC 4103.