Op 09/07/2012 17:05, Mark Rejhon schreef:
I propose a shorter section added to Interoperability, since it is listed as one of the Requirements (TTY alternative) in Section 2, so it is very prudent that I expand on how it's accomplished, by adding this section to Interoperability:

    *8.3 TTY and Textphones*
    *Real-time text is implemented in assistive telephone devices that
    operate on the PSTN (e.g. TTY in North America, textphone in
    Europe), using various text telephone modulation protocols such as
    those specified in ITU-T V.18 and its annexes (e.g. Baudot, DTMF).
    It is possible to implement gateways between them and XEP-0301
    based real-time text, and can be combined with an audio protocol
    such as XEP-0166 (e.g. for Voice Carry Over). *

It satisfies everyone concerns I hope, because:
1. Its first sentence is jargon-free
2. It is reasonably short.
3. I use "various text modulation protocols" to include any possible text modulation protocols, not just those in V.18 (I only use the phrase "such as" -- which keeps the door open to anything)
4. Any audio protocol may be used.
5. Further implementation details are left out of this; and best covered by a FAQ site (like the one I eventually plan to create)
I agree with you.