On 2012-07-09 17:05, Mark Rejhon wrote:
I propose a shorter section added to Interoperability, since it is listed as one of the Requirements (TTY alternative) in Section 2, so it is very prudent that I expand on how it's accomplished, by adding this section to Interoperability:

    *8.3 TTY and Textphones*
    *Real-time text is implemented in assistive telephone devices that
    operate on the PSTN (e.g. TTY in North America, textphone in
    Europe), using various text telephone modulation protocols such as
    those specified in ITU-T V.18 and its annexes (e.g. Baudot, DTMF).
    It is possible to implement gateways between them and XEP-0301
    based real-time text, and can be combined with an audio protocol
    such as XEP-0166 (e.g. for Voice Carry Over). *

Good. Just one little modification. My view is that "textphone" or "text telephone" is the generic technical term for these devices. Then every country has their name for it. USA and Canada calls it TTY and mean then the TIA-825A equipped type. UK calls the same "Minicom" after the product name of the same. Italy calls their EDT equipped ones DTS . Switzerland calls them Schreibtelefon. France had Minitel, Sweden has Texttelefon, Denmark has Skrivtelefon, Holland has Schreibtelfon ( I think). Summary. Use TTY for the North American type and Textphone as the general term. I usually name TTY and Nrth America because Americans usually do not even realize that "textphone" is a wider used term for the same thing.

I also recommend that we do not introduce the old term "Voice Carry Over" that will raise new questions among the ones not knowing accessible communication history.

Therefore, I suggest some small modifications resulting in this:

   *8.3 Textphones (Including TTY)
   *
   *Real-time text is implemented in assistive text telephone devices
   that operate on the PSTN (called TTY in North America),
   using various text telephone modulation protocols such as those
   specified in ITU-T V.18 and its annexes (e.g. Baudot, DTMF). It is
   possible to implement gateways between them and XEP-0301 based
   real-time text, that can be combined with an audio protocol e.g.
   XEP-0166 (e.g. for alternating audio and text).
   *

Gunnar