On Mon, Oct 28, 2013 at 7:57 PM, Spencer MacDonald <
spencer.macdonald.ot...@gmail.com> wrote:

> I have used a custom implementation that just had the following commands:
>
> - Enable (enable the buffer)
> - Flush (flush the buffer)
> - Disable (disable the buffer, which also flushes it)
>
> It worked great, but I wasn't using any time sensitive XEPs like Jingle
> that you would want to let through.
>
> The major issue on iOS is if the device "wakes up" more than 15 times in 5
> mins your app would get killed, so letting through "important" messages
> still wouldn't be a good idea.

Right; the google:queue implementation I once wrote, in a past life,
buffered up only presence. IQ, and messages, came through - but it was
clever enough to figure out that local PEP at least was bufferable.

I suspect though that most people would handle less than 3 messages a
minute on mobile for at least most of the time. I only get that kind of
level on desktop if I'm in a MUC or two.

Even if the client was killed, the combination of mobile push and XEP-0198
should make that fairly painless, too.

Dave.