I think your under estimating the amount of messages somebody receives in
an active chat, especially when some people tend to split their messages up
like so:

Message 1:
Hi

Message 2:
How are you

Message 3:
?

Message 4:
:)

Moreover if your mobile app has a Desktop counterpart you might end up
being a participant in one or more group chats, like you said could end up
generating a lot of traffic.

Also (iOS specific again, sorry) your not allowed to use the background
socket for "messages" anyway, thats what push notifications are for. Also
the user is not informed in any way that the app has been killed so they
wouldn't bother to relaunch it, thus not resuming the stream until the next
time they want to send a message.

Regards

Spencer