On 2 Sep 2014, at 07:54, Cramer, E.R. (Eelco) <eelco.cra...@tno.nl> wrote:

> At my office I run a gitlab server that we use for our projects.
>
> Both the hosted gitlab at http://gitlab.com as a self hosted instance of the
> gitlab community edition support multiple ways of signing up (using an openid
> account, a company ldap server or let users signup using a mail address.
>
> Every registered user can fork a public repository and create pull request
> just like at github.
>
> So it is very well possible to host a service with the same features people
> love at github.

This sounds like something we should consider. The github workflow is very
compelling and being able to replicate that would be super awesome :)

I think there are enough people talking about his that we could add this to
discuss as a summit agenda item. I’m sensitive to not wanting to burden the xsf
sysadmins (who very kindly volunteer their time to keeping everything running)
with maintaining another platform, but I think this would be worthwhile (and
actually could replace the self-hosted mercurial repo that we already have).

Self hosting would actually have one advantage over github which is
customisation - for example allowing XEP authors to push changes to their own
XEP, but not having general push rights which I don’t believe we could do with
github, but would be fairly trivial with gitlab (gitosis).

—
Ash