On 18 Jun 2015 15:01, "Kurt Zeilenga" <kurt.zeile...@isode.com> wrote:

> What’s the bar for “core”?  I would think it at least mature Draft
standard if not Full standard.

> I don’t think it’s appropriate to add Carbons to core when it seems that
there’s not consensus that it’s the best solution for any problem the
majority of XMPP IM/MUC deployments are facing.

There's consensus, I would argue, given that it's extremely well supported
in servers, desktop and mobile clients. In fact, finding servers that
didn't support it a year ago is hard.

<mailto:d...@cridland.net>> wrote:
> >>    >
> >>    > Folks,
> >>    >
> >>    > Many moons past, before the dawn of a couple of years ago, we had
things like XEP-0302, which declared that - excitingly - advanced servers
might want to implement PEP.
> >>    >
> >>    > I think that these days, any server should be doing PEP. I
suspect we're nearing the point where we need to consider Carbons as a
"Core", rather than "Advanced”.

> >>    When was Carbons even listed as Advanced?
> >>

> >> Yeah... I read that back and wondered what the hell I meant, sorry,
that
> >> was hopelessly unclear of me.
> >>
> >> I meant to say that Carbons wasn't even on there before, whereas it's
> >> now pretty much essential.
> >
> > Agreed with respect to the technology. With respect to the process, the
Carbons XEP is still Experimental. I think that it's not right to make a
XEP part of a compliance suite if it's still Experimental. But that can be
solved by moving the XEP forward on the standards track.