> On Jun 18, 2015, at 8:45 AM, Dave Cridland <d...@cridland.net> wrote:
>

> On 18 Jun 2015 15:40, "Curtis King" <ck...@mumbo.ca <mailto:ck...@mumbo.ca>>
> wrote:
> >

> >> On Jun 18, 2015, at 7:25 AM, Dave Cridland <d...@cridland.net
> >> <mailto:d...@cridland.net>> wrote:
> >>
> >> There's consensus, I would argue, given that it's extremely well supported
> >> in servers, desktop and mobile clients. In fact, finding servers that
> >> didn't support it a year ago is hard.
> >

> > Two servers and maybe 5 clients does not make for well supported in my book.
>
> Which two were you thinking of?
>
> Ejabberd has supported it for two years, Openfire for 18 months or so on
> trunk, prosody for ages. I don't know about the others, but those three
> account for a very high percentage of deployed domains, once one excludes
> Google, who don't implement anything anyway.

Ok three servers if count a 3rd party plugin for Prosody.

> > But, how well an extension is supported doesn’t give it special rights to
> > skip the standardization process.
> >

> Supported isn't the same as deployed, and I'm not arguing high deployment
> skips the standards process. However, it does offer evidence that it works,
> and is desirable, and high deployment does suggest high consensus.

You keep making general statements with out any supporting facts. From where I
sit, I see zero deployment. I can’t find a single iOS XMPP client which
supports 280, Trillian has rolled their own solution, all I can find is a few
Android clients, some web frameworks, and after 30 minutes of looking zero
desktop clients. Far from an exhaustive survey but from your statements I
figured it would be easy to find clients which support 280.

> Arguing against it on the basis that an unwritten perfect protocol would be
> better is a much weaker argument.

I did no such thing. I will rephrase.

Is XEP-0280 a complete solution to it’s stated problem? I say no because it
does not support the offline case.
Should a XEP with an incomplete solution be included in the Compliance Suites?
If yes, at what level?
Should a XEP be able to be added to the Core level by-passing the Advanced
level?

ck