On 23.03.2017 09:38, Georg Lukas wrote:
> * Florian Schmaus <f...@geekplace.eu> [2017-03-23 08:22]:
>> Consider an chess-game service build on top of MIX. Tim and Tom want to
>> play a game and agree on the "TimAndTomsGame" as name. Now both clients
>> want to join-and-maybe-create the TimAndTomsGame MIX channel.
>
> I think this is exactly what §6.5.3 "Creating a Channel for Ad Hoc Use"
> is meant for. One of the two creates such a "nameless" channel and sends
> an invitation, there is really no need to have both parties trying to
> create it, or any kind of out-of-band name arbitration.

That does work if the name of the channel can be random (nameless). But
I believe that there will be use cases where the name of the channel
needs to be fixed.

For PubSub/PEP this would be OMEMO, GeoLoc, etc., (although the
situation here is not so bad, because the nodes don't get deleted usually).

But yeah, § 6.5.3 could be sufficient in most cases. However, I still
feel like having an optional atomic join-or-maybe-create operation would
be nice to have.

- Florian