On 23.03.2017 11:05, Georg Lukas wrote:
> * Florian Schmaus <f...@geekplace.eu> [2017-03-23 10:11]:
>> That does work if the name of the channel can be random (nameless). But
>> I believe that there will be use cases where the name of the channel
>> needs to be fixed.
>
> Yes, there are use cases where a fixed channel name is needed. But do
> you really want to end up in a situation where a race condition decides
> on who will become the owner of that channel, and where you'll
> accidentally expose your full JID to a third party by join-or-creating
> some milliseconds too late?

See comment below.

>> For PubSub/PEP this would be OMEMO, GeoLoc, etc., (although the
>> situation here is not so bad, because the nodes don't get deleted usually).
>
> Sorry, I can't follow you. What's the relevance of the current
> discussion to OMEMO etc?

It is the same feature request for PubSub/PEP. For example when using
OMEMO you always want to subscribe-and-maybe-create the devicelist node.
Some goes for the XEP-0080 geoloc node. It would be nice if PubSub would
provide that as primitive.

>> But yeah, ยง 6.5.3 could be sufficient in most cases. However, I still
>> feel like having an optional atomic join-or-maybe-create operation would
>> be nice to have.
>
> I have a contrary opinion. Join-or-maybe-create is the wrong solution
> for the two MIX use cases I see, and it would make implementors take
> nasty shortcuts.
>
> - Named public long-lived MIXes: you want to either be the owner of it
>   or have the creation fail.

You do sometimes have exclusive races against other resources of your JID.

- Florian