Hi David,

Le jeudi 12 octobre 2017, 10:09:41 CEST Dave Cridland a écrit :

> There are dozens of quite reasonable Markdown libraries in Javascript.
> These will handle, suppress, and otherwise deal with embedded HTML.
> Every other IM system I can find just does Markdown of some flavour.
> XHTML is, pretty much, dead at this point anyway.

There are dozen of flavours of Mardown, not always compatibles, it's not a
syntax adapted for XML, and it's really limited (no table/color by default for
instance). Markdown is not standardized, which make it quite a bad choice to
be used in a standard protocol. And what if in 5 year an other syntax is
trendy?

I don't really see the point of changing to a syntax just because it's popular
now when XHTML-IM is perfectly adapted to XML, standardized, and working well
(and Markdown can be trivially converted to XHTML-IM, so it's already usable
at the moment).

And again, we are going for years of incompatibilities by changing it now.

Cheers
Goffi