On Thu, Oct 12, 2017, at 01:26, Jonas Wielicki wrote:
> I prepared a pull request to clarify the wording [1].

Thanks, it's always good to try and make these things clearer.

> Well, yes, but that’s the issue with doing webapps, right?

Sure, you always have to be careful of this. XHTML-IM just makes it
particularly easy to introduce catastrophic flaws and I think we can do
much better.

> We should first discuss what an alternative would look like (I read the
> council meeting backlog and I see that this is a security issue, but
> please bear with me!).

I agree with this except for the "first" bit. Let's discuss them in
parallel. Remember that just because we obsolete it doesn't mean
everyone must stop using it right away, it just means that we're
discouraging (but not disallowing) new implementations, which is
something I think we should do because of the history of insecurity
surrounding this spec.

> There are legitimate use-cases for markup

Agreed, let's definitely start work on a replacement as soon as
possible.

> And we need to make sure that we don’t trade one vulnerability for
> another.

Also agreed.

> There are two large categories of alternatives which are possible

It might be good to start a new thread to discuss alternatives. This
thread is about obsoleting XHTML-IM due to a history of security issues.
Thanks for starting this discussion though!

—Sam

--
Sam Whited
s...@samwhited.com