On Thu, Oct 12, 2017 at 10:27:43AM +0200, Goffi wrote:
> There are dozen of flavours of [Markdown], not always compatibles, it's not a
> syntax adapted for XML, and it's really limited (no table/color by default
> for
> instance). Markdown is not standardized, which make it quite a bad choice to
> be used in a standard protocol.

Perhaps we could use Creole 1.0 instead - it is standardized to a large extent
(see http://wikicreole.org/wiki/Creole1.0 for the spec) and has been around for
over 10 years now.  Creole files (using the .creole extension) are
automatically rendered by the GitHub and GitLab web interfaces.  See, for
example:

https://gitlab.com/ossguy/sgx-catapult

There are a number of engines that support it already as well, per
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Creole_(markup)#Support_in_engines .  It also
supports tables.

In my experience, Creole provides similar functionality to the commonly-used
derivations of Markdown, but provides the standardization that Markdown lacks.

Denver
https://jmp.chat/