On 16 October 2017 at 12:04, Georg Lukas <ge...@op-co.de> wrote:
> * Dave Cridland <d...@cridland.net> [2017-10-15 11:06]:
>> A Snippet is a small item of content. It is normally referenced within
>> a chatroom or 1:1 chat. I'm only going to define use in MUC;
>
> I'm curious what the benefits are compared to just sending whatever
> snippet you want inside of a message, or using http-upload for larger
> objects. My feeling is that this sits somewhere in the middle, and
> overlaps into both sides, so I wonder where it can be used in practice.
>
> The protocol like it's adding multiple roundtrips for the participants,
> a separate access-control and life-span domain (we had that discussion
> recently with avatars hosted on http-upload) and not to forget a
> separate (sub)protocol with pubsub.

Well, it's useful for when you want to list what's been snippetted.
You *could* use such a thing like a pastebin, too. Semantically, this
isn't messaging, so shoe-horning it into that metaphor would seem
problematic. It also allows a single point of editing - I personally
can't stand people updating snippets in other protocols but it seems
to get used.

Of course, there's no reason not to use http upload to host longer
and/or more binary files, but sometimes it's simpler to handle
security if everything is over XMPP, even at a cost in terms of
bandwidth.

So I think there's some complementary aspects.

Dave.