Le lundi 16 octobre 2017, 13:46:02 CEST Dave Cridland a écrit :
> On 16 October 2017 at 12:04, Georg Lukas <ge...@op-co.de> wrote:
> > * Dave Cridland <d...@cridland.net> [2017-10-15 11:06]:
> >> A Snippet is a small item of content. It is normally referenced within
> >> a chatroom or 1:1 chat. I'm only going to define use in MUC;
> >
> > I'm curious what the benefits are compared to just sending whatever
> > snippet you want inside of a message, or using http-upload for larger
> > objects. My feeling is that this sits somewhere in the middle, and
> > overlaps into both sides, so I wonder where it can be used in practice.
> >
> > The protocol like it's adding multiple roundtrips for the participants,
> > a separate access-control and life-span domain (we had that discussion
> > recently with avatars hosted on http-upload) and not to forget a
> > separate (sub)protocol with pubsub.
>
> Well, it's useful for when you want to list what's been snippetted.
> You *could* use such a thing like a pastebin, too. Semantically, this
> isn't messaging, so shoe-horning it into that metaphor would seem
> problematic. It also allows a single point of editing - I personally
> can't stand people updating snippets in other protocols but it seems
> to get used.
>
> Of course, there's no reason not to use http upload to host longer
> and/or more binary files, but sometimes it's simpler to handle
> security if everything is over XMPP, even at a cost in terms of
> bandwidth.
>
> So I think there's some complementary aspects.
>
> Dave.

Hi Dave,

I'm arguing for a paste XEP for some time, for many reasons:

1) I think pasting should be in a separate flux from chat message (most of
time, not always)
2) I think external pastebin and other autopaste are Q&D workaround
3) I would like to be able to specify the kind of paste, specially for coding
language
4) I would like to be able to have extension for paste, like the ability to
comment parts when we are discussing about e.g. a snipped of code, or even
propose modifications

I'm not sure if this could suit your proposal, but if yes I would be all in
favor attending that 3) and 4) would be possible (and not only for web
clients). Why would you always need an URI in content node? It would be nice
to put some pasted text in it, wouldn't it? Or I have missed something?

Thanks
Goffii