> This XEP is incompatible with *sending* clients (be they human or automated)
> which are not aware of it. I strongly advocate for an opt-in mechanism (at
> which point this is the rejected Body Markup Hints ProtoXEP, but with a custom
> markup) on each message; if that’s not gonna find consensus, I think an opt-
> out mechanism is the least which must be done.

Reading this the first time I wasn't sure what you mean by opt-in.

But essentially you want each 'styled' message annotated by an <styled
xmlns="styling..."/> tag or something like that. And you want clients
to render those messages styled only if a message contains that tag.

I can get on board with this.
I mild annoyance is that the sending client needs to support this. So
if i'm using mcabber which doesn't support styling I can never trigger
styling on the receiving side even if I, as a knowing user, know about
the syntax and the consequences of styling.

But if this is required to get everyone happy I can accept this as a compromise.

cheers
Daniel