* Florian Schmaus <f...@geekplace.eu> [2018-11-25 23:43]:
> On 14.11.18 13:16, Holger Weiß wrote:
> > So this isn't just about wording but about semantics?  I.e., you want
> > the XEP to mandate the server to strip all stanza IDs with by=$JID,
> > where $JID is any user or server JID the server feels responsible for?
> >
> > In that case we'd disagree.  The XEP should only mandate stripping of
> > stanzas for those JIDs on which the server announces XEP-0359 support,
> > which is what the current wording is trying to do.  Any other JIDs are
> > out of scope.
>
> I'd like to hear more about the reasons for your disagreement. I am not
> entirely sure if participants in this discussion always talked about the
> exact same thing. Maybe a concrete example would help:
>
> Server 'example.org' receives stanza from 'foo.org' with a <stanza-id
> by='u...@example.org' id='...'>
>
> Should the 'example.org' server sanitize this <stanza-id/> or not?

If XEP-0359 support is announced for <u...@example.org>¹, the XEP should
mandate stripping of your example <stanza-id/>:

        <stanza-id by='u...@example.org' id='...'>

The XEP should not mandate (i.e., the client cannot rely on) the server
to also sanitize any of following <stanza-id/>s unless XEP-0359 support
is also announced for them:

        <stanza-id by='example.org' id='...'>
        <stanza-id by='other-u...@example.org' id='...'>
        <stanza-id by='t...@rooms.example.org' id='...'>

As far as I can see, that's what XEP-0359 is currently doing.  Georg
suggested changing this, and I disagreed with such a change.

Holger

¹ By including the 'urn:xmpp:sid:0' and/or 'urn:xmpp:mam:2' features
  with disco#info responses.