* Kim Alvefur <z...@zash.se> [2018-12-08 20:01]:
> Anyways, if clicking a button sends an exact string given on the button
> then there should be no ambiguity?

This is the second issue I have with this proto-XEP, because the i18n
fails when clicking the button. You click "Ja" but your client sends
"yes". This might be solvable by encouraging the implementations to
mirror all labels from a button in respective i18n'ed <body> elements,
and by changing the examples accordingly.

My primary issue, however, is the already discussed Data Forms / ad-hoc
commands elephant in the room.

I'd really like to see a strawman proto-XEP implementing the same
functionality on top of data-forms in messages, just to be able to
compare the relative scariness.

What I like about this one is the apparent simplicity, but the question
of when to show buttons and how to handle "race conditions" seems rather
complex.

* Matthew Wild <mwi...@gmail.com> [2018-12-09 11:50]:
> I don't know of a single mobile client with dataform rendering for
> example (so they don't do custom IBR forms, they don't do ad-hoc
> commands, and they certainly won't do forms inside messages).

As a mobile client author, I see the complexity, but having a mechanism
to implement polls, buttons and the like (and to fix IBR on the way)
this would actually be a motivation for me to finally tackle data forms!

With all this considered, I'm -0 on the proto-XEP. If we can fix i18n in
data-forms, I'd rather go the more-complex but more-flexible route. If
somebody comes up with a proto-XEP for data-forms-in-messages and that
actually does look frightening to me, I'll +1 this one based on KISS.

Georg