On Thu, 14 Mar 2019 at 15:14, Peter Saint-Andre <stpe...@mozilla.com> wrote:

> On 3/14/19 5:05 AM, Dave Cridland wrote:
> >

> > On Wed, 13 Mar 2019 at 21:46, Ralph Meijer <ral...@ik.nu
> > <mailto:ral...@ik.nu>> wrote:
> >
> >     On 13/03/2019 22.16, Kevin Smith wrote:
> >     >
> >     >
> >     >> On 13 Mar 2019, at 17:37, Peter Saint-Andre <stpe...@mozilla.com
> >     <mailto:stpe...@mozilla.com>> wrote:
> >     >>
> >     >> I can help, but I would not object to adding a more active
> co-author
> >     >> (preferably an implementor of the spec).
> >     >
> >     > Do you want to request a last call? Under the new rules Council
> >     aren’t allowed to trigger an LC any more unless either the authors
> >     request it or the authors abandon the XEP.
> >
> >     Kev,
> >
> >     I think this is a very narrow reading of the new text, and I don't
> >     agree
> >     that this says the Approving Body cannot issue (=/= trigger) a Last
> >     Call, via the Editor, if it so sees fit. What the changed text is
> meant
> >     to ensure is that once a Last Call is issued, there's somebody,
> either
> >     an author or document shepherd, to process feedback of that Last Call
> >     and during the approval process of the Approving Body. And that
> there's
> >     a defined way to propose advancement by authors, or others in case it
> >     appears that the authors are no longer interested in such
> advancement.
> >
> >     If you think this new wording suggests that the Approving Body (in
> this
> >     case Council) is no longer in full control of the process, then
> please
> >     propose changes so this can be rectified.
> >

> > I think the way that XEP-0001 is currently written suggests that if the
> > Council triggered a Last Call without the author(s) involved, the
> > Author(s) could complain on the grounds that we have not followed
> > XEP-0001 as written.
>
> Has this ever happened or is it purely hypothetical?

It is hypothetical. Hopefully it will remain so.

> > Since we do not have a complaints procedure, what happens then is
> > anyone's guess. (I think they need to complain to the Board, and if that
> > fails to achieve a resolution, to the Members - but that's a suggestion
> > and is in no way supported by any of our process documents).
>
> It seems to me that the Board is the appropriate escalation path,
> although raising an issue among the membership would also work.
>
> Personally I don't see the need for every possible eventuality to be
> captured in process documents...

No, me neither, but I go back and forth over whether we should have some
kind of appeals process for where people think Council actions are "Wrong"
- it'd be painful to have to figure one out on the fly, anyway. Based on my
actions so far, I don't feel this way strongly enough to act, obviously. :-)

What I do feel relatively strongly about is that we should document what we
do, and in return do what we document. This seems to me to be a basic tenet
of the "Open" bit of "Open Standards".

So we've followed the process, and I'll get a vote for Last Call on '353
done next meeting.

Dave.