On 4/7/20 8:17 AM, Daniel Gultsch wrote:
> Am Di., 31. März 2020 um 20:42 Uhr schrieb Jonas Schäfer
> <jo...@wielicki.name>:
>> This message constitutes notice of a Last Call for comments on
>> XEP-0357.
>>
>> Title: Push Notifications
>> Abstract:
>> This specification defines a way for an XMPP servers to deliver
>> information for use in push notifications to mobile and other devices.

>> This Last Call begins today and shall end at the close of business on
>> 2020-04-08.
>>
>> Please consider the following questions during this Last Call and send
>> your feedback to the standards@xmpp.org discussion list:
>> […]
>> 2. Does the specification solve the problem stated in the introduction
>> and requirements?
>
> No. At the very very least it requires an additional flag to tell
> devices if this is a silent notification or a notification that
> actually triggers something human readable.

Why is that? I would expect the push notification triggers the client on
the device to look for further details of the event(s), which caused the
push, on their service?

> But even that would be a hacky work around to what we really need; and
> that is some form of abstract 'type' (text message, incoming call,
> etc)

As above. I am trying to understand the motivation for this suggested
change. Why does the push message have to carry additional information?
I always assumed clients would simply fetch those after they received
the push from their service. Are there cases where this is not sufficient?

- Florian