Hi Sam,

Unfortunately your updated §7.1 is broken.

- U+2060 WORD JOINER is not a whitespace character under Unicode
definition, therefor your proposed way to remove styling will not work
with any client correctly implementing the XEP.
- U+200B ZERO WIDTH SPACE is also not a whitespace character (even
though it totally sounds as if), that's why I suggested to put it
*before* the styling directive, like "In ​*this* example". As styling
directives must be located at the beginning of the line, after a
whitespace or after a different styling directive and U+200B is none of
those.
- When I suggested U+200B I indeed didn't have the third case in mind,
but only the other two and in both of these cases the fact that this
character is breaking wasn't an issue. U+2060 also acts as a replacement
for the deprecated U+FEFF ZERO WIDTH NON-BREAKING SPACE so I'd say
U+2060 is the right choice here, but it must still be changes such that
it is to be inserted before the opening directive and not after.
- Regarding the closing directive: Thinking more about it, the only case
where it is needed to also "escape" the closing directive is the
preformatted text block. Valid span closing directives must not be after
a space so can't be misunderstood as an opening.

Marvin