From: Standards <standards-boun...@xmpp.org> on behalf of Sam Whited
<s...@samwhited.com>
Sent: 02 June 2020 20:29
To: standards@xmpp.org <standards@xmpp.org>
Subject: Re: [Standards] Council Minutes 2020-05-27

On Tue, Jun 2, 2020, at 15:14, Tedd Sterr wrote:
>  At first glance this looks like a cute solution, but it starts to
>  resemble a dirty hack the longer you look at it.

How so? Semantically this seems like the sort of thing joiners are for.
Eg. this is similar to the mechanism for breaking up combining emojis,
similar to breaking up letters in joined texts, etc. we're just breaking
up the styling directive from the text it would otherwise style.

>  You're hoping to add a neat little feature for little cost, but it's
>  going to be additional unnecessary complexity in almost all cases. If
>  you're aiming to keep 0393 small, neat, and clean then maybe this
>  isn't a good way to go. I don't even see much realistic use for
>  styling *this* but not *this* - messages are either fully styled or
>  fully unstyled - don't over-complicate things.

In general I feel the same way, but others said the all or nothing
approach was confusing and I do see the appeal of wanting a bold button
on a toolbar to work without breaking the rest of the text too. I could
go either way, but if we do want to unstyle individual blocks and spans,
this seems like a simple convenient way to do it.

—Sam