On 23 Dec 2020, at 15:16, Marvin W <x...@larma.de> wrote:

> Hi there,
>
> I actually was working on something with partially overlapping goals,
> that is
> a) being notified for relevant groupchat messages via push
> notifications. This is mostly relevant for iOS push notifications (at
> least as far as I understood during last summit).
> b) signal to recipient that a message is important to notify about (for
> example, when out of office, still notify for the really important
> things). This is a feature some of you may know from Slack.
>
> I was first thinking to base this around mentions as well, but that
> would mostly work for a, not b (at least not how b is realized in Slack).
>
> I thus was to suggest a much more generic approach, that is to add a new
> element <notify jid="ha...@shakespeare.lit" /> to the message
> (completely independent of any use of mentions/references). Jid could be
> left out in direct chats, in MUCs can point to the real jid, member jid
> or room jid (equivalent to @channel mentioning), also there might be
> value in an optional priority="high" attribute to signal higher message
> priority.
>
> Your usecase of delivering messages to non-present MUC users seems to
> fit into this schema. Also, adding server-side meaning to something that
> is mostly formatting (mentions) seems a little bit weird to me.
>
> Another advantage of the <notify> element approach is that it also works
> for server-side processing in e2ee message (without leaking relevant
> message details) as long as the <notify> is not e2e encrypted (which it
> shouldn't be as it's also meant to be processed by servers).

I like this, I think this is a useful discussion to be having.

I think there’s merit in something combining these two approaches. I think the
idea of being able to specify that it’s meant to generate a notification is
useful (and I can see why Slack’s ‘also say I want to override notification
silencing’ would be useful - although for that to work as in Slack the sender
has to be able to discover that the recipient has disabled notifications, and I
suggest that a ‘please notify even if notifications are turned off’ flag would
be useful if we go that route, as this processing is going to be
recipient-side). Also useful is everything-under-the-Sun’s ability to @everyone
and @groups, which a notify mechanism nicely addresses. Also useful is
referencing a particular bit of the message to be the markup, like in
references(mentions).

/K