On Wed, 23 Dec 2020 at 16:48, Philipp Hörist <phil...@hoerist.com> wrote:

> Hi
>
> and when would a client add this notify tag? Should the client let the
> user decide? (I dont like that)
> Is there any reason why i would not add <notify> to every message? I see
> no downside for the sender

I agree that having it in control of the sender is a bit strange. Though I
understand the issue with e2ee, I am not sure if this it the best way to
solve it. <notify> would be largely duplicating the semantics of XEP-0372
mentions.

I also agree with what was said earlier in the thread, that I think this
XEP solves a small part of a broader problem - i.e. how (and when) a MUC
should notify an absent participant about something they may be interested
in receiving. I think the 'how' and 'when' are fine to be separated.

This is all I have time to write up right now, but I am indeed glad we're
finally making progress on this :)

Regards,
Matthew