Hi,

Ok i think i get it, its a warmed up <attention> XEP. Not a very successful
XEP btw.

Anyway back to the original use case for sending messages to people not
joined the MUC

i think Marvins approach is easier.
But it does not replace the reference mention, because we still need that
to mark up the text correctly. And yes references might be encrypted,
depending on the uri attr and what i can reference in the future, so i
would say we should not expect servers to be able to read references. And
its a recipe for disaster to encrypt some references and others not.

I really see no way how we can use references for these server features.

Seems like we duplicating here a bit of functionality between the XEPs
then, but i still think its the cleaner approach.

Regards
Philipp