Shai,

I did not repeat in the email everything, what I wrote in the discussion
document, only the conclusion. If you have access control, you don't
need tweaking any more (as Serge put it: to provide some protection
against copy-and-paste attacks), therefore, half of the hardware (or
the running time in software) can be saved. The extra circuits consume
considerable power, which drain the battery of portable devices,
necessitate better cooling and adds design-, test-, certification- and
manufacturing costs. Even if the saving is only 10 cents per unit, in a
market of 100 million drives it is a significant amount, which would be
wasted if access control is added to LRW.

But there are other points, too, like the handling of odd size sectors
adds extra delay to the critical path, which forces us to use faster
clocks, which consume more power, etc. We also need the flexibility to
leave some bits in the clear, which is trivial with counter mode but
complicated to add to the current draft.

When I said the current proposal is useless for non-removable storage, I
did not mean it was not secure enough, but that it was unnecessarily
expensive. In a highly competitive market we cannot afford to implement
it. We MUST provide access control, so LRW is out of question. This
means, the overwhelming majority of secure storage applications will
not use P1619, if it stays as it is now.

Adding counter mode and a paragraph about access control, which could be
left unspecified, is not very hard. I am surprised to encounter such a
resistance. But I am even more surprised, that nobody was even willing
to discuss alternatives, or possible implementation or security
problems I might have overlooked.

Laszlo