Doug,

>> careful about considering any variant of counter mode for update-in-place
>> storage applications

What threat do you see? If read access is only provided with full
authentication, or it requires destruction of the drive, only one
snapshot can be taken.

>> I'm still not quite sure that I fully understand what threats we are trying
>> to protect against

Do you mean Chapter 8, Attack Scenarios, is not precise, not complete or
incomprehensible? Please suggest improvements, additions to it.

>> we owe the world a careful and coherent threat model document

Chapter 8 was meant as a draft for it. If it ever gets cleaned up
enough, we can put it in a separate document, but I thought it could
remain a chapter in the Backgrounds document.

Laszlo