There is no question that there are issues with forwarding with form population and such, and the known issue with multipart data (which is an isolated use-case anyway).

My main thrust here is that we consider such action forwarding uses for Struts 2 architecture and recognize that its a very handy and clean way to do things rather than dismiss it altogether. I'm keeping an open mind here as we discuss this and I see how others are accomplishing the things I use it for without the use of action chaining.

Also, I use redirects also when it is appropriate - which is probably an example of where Vic's method breaks down since he's relying on the view data after a delete be in the same request, whereas its a non-issue with action chaining as long as the actions themselves do not rely on request scope information. I can toggle my forwards to be redirect="false" or "true" in the delete -> view case. Can Vic's? I don't think so.

Erik

Eddie Bush wrote:
LOL - this is getting comical :-) Personally, I chain for the same reaons that Laird notes. Ex: deleteDetail.do has a success forward to showDetails.do. Call it illegal, but it works just fine :-) One thing I do do is always redirect instead of forward -- I can certainly see where forwarding to another action could have adverse side-effects (when you consider how form population works).

V. Cekvenich wrote:

I too get unsure what bus. logic is.
But I am all +1 that you have a "good" practice example. I think it is text book as to what is action and what is not. (if / then )

But that is not chaining. To me chaining means that you have a series of workflow processing that you solve... oh wait..... confused.
OK, there is good chaining and bad chaining. But thats splitting hairs now.
I don't know I guess. Hope Ted chimes in.

.V