Erik Hatcher wrote:

There is no question that there are issues with forwarding with form population and such, and the known issue with multipart data (which is an isolated use-case anyway).
The multipart issues exists regardless of whether you are chaining or not - no? I was of the impression that was the case. The single thing I see (and it's entirely possible I'm being short-sighted) is that your form would be repopulated (which could be very evil to track down if you hadn't already thought through the possibility of it happening). Redirecting avoids this issue altogether by causing another request to be created.

My main thrust here is that we consider such action forwarding uses for Struts 2 architecture and recognize that its a very handy and clean way to do things rather than dismiss it altogether. I'm keeping an open mind here as we discuss this and I see how others are accomplishing the things I use it for without the use of action chaining.

Also, I use redirects also when it is appropriate - which is probably an example of where Vic's method breaks down since he's relying on the view data after a delete be in the same request, whereas its a non-issue with action chaining as long as the actions themselves do not rely on request scope information. I can toggle my forwards to be redirect="false" or "true" in the delete -> view case. Can Vic's? I don't think so.

Erik

Eddie Bush wrote:

LOL - this is getting comical :-) Personally, I chain for the same reaons that Laird notes. Ex: deleteDetail.do has a success forward to showDetails.do. Call it illegal, but it works just fine :-) One thing I do do is always redirect instead of forward -- I can certainly see where forwarding to another action could have adverse side-effects (when you consider how form population works).

V. Cekvenich wrote:

I too get unsure what bus. logic is.
But I am all +1 that you have a "good" practice example. I think it is text book as to what is action and what is not. (if / then )

But that is not chaining. To me chaining means that you have a series of workflow processing that you solve... oh wait..... confused.
OK, there is good chaining and bad chaining. But thats splitting hairs now.
I don't know I guess. Hope Ted chimes in.

.V

--
Eddie Bush