From: James Mitchell [mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED]]
Sent: Saturday, December 14, 2002 00:08
To: Struts Developers List
Subject: Re: Why are people are up on Struts

On Fri, 2002-12-13 at 08:20, Ted Husted wrote:
> 12/12/2002 5:29:23 AM, Joseph Ottinger <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
> wrote:
> >On Wed, 11 Dec 2002, Ted Husted wrote:
> >> Given the large community behind Struts, we do have our share
> >> of zealots. And, I agree that people who believe Struts is
> >> "42" are not being realistic.
>
> >I think it goes back to a lot of people - including myself - who
> >think that zealots of any stripe are retarded, and people who
> >don't know any better get reminded - IRC-fashion - that there are
> >other alternatives.
>
> I think Struts may attract more than it share of zealots simply
> because Craig is a friendly guy and makes people feel welcome. I
> originally looked harder at Struts than other products just
> because I enjoyed Craig's demeanor on the list. And, like many
> others, I stuck around because people were helpful and made Struts
> easier to use. When my turn came, I helped others along. The cycle
> continues. People Craig and I have helped are now helping others.
> (Good thing, since both of us seem swamped lately!)
>
> This is really the essence of "Apache marketing". We do put
> community before technology. Struts isn't popular because of the
> Apache name or because of economic engineering by an evil empire.
> It's popular because we do things the Apache Way and put people
> first.
>
> Of course, people outside the community can't see that, and so
> wonder why Struts is the most popular framework when it is
> arguably not the most powerful or easiest to grasp.
>
> It's popular, because, gosh, people ~like~ us =:0)
>
> -Ted.

Something else that can make a difference is "First Impressions".  I
mean, would you stick around if the first response you get when
approaching a new community is titled "idiot.html"?

 http://jakarta.apache.org/site/idiot.html

Whether you meant to send to the wrong list or not, first impressions
are lasting impressions....hey isn't that a common phrase or something?

I've witnessed several flame wars over that link.

Well, at least we don't promote ill feelings here, however VI still
sucks!!! ;P

--
James Mitchell
Software Engineer / Struts Evangelist