Anyone who calls vim "vi" is simply not in a position to judge it. Anyway, I do understand the initial ease of a GUI. I like the speed you get after spending a half-hour to an hour learning something like vim. I hate moving a mouse around and would rather do it with my fingers that are already on the keyboard.

Micael

At 06:27 PM 12/14/2002 +0800, you wrote:
<snip>
would you stick around if the first response you get when
approaching a new community is titled "idiot.html"?
 http://jakarta.apache.org/site/idiot.html
</snip>

Rofl. I like it. ;->

-----Original Message-----
From: James Mitchell [mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED]]
Sent: Saturday, December 14, 2002 00:08
To: Struts Developers List
Subject: Re: Why are people are up on Struts

On Fri, 2002-12-13 at 08:20, Ted Husted wrote:
> 12/12/2002 5:29:23 AM, Joseph Ottinger <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
> wrote:
> >On Wed, 11 Dec 2002, Ted Husted wrote:
> >> Given the large community behind Struts, we do have our share
> >> of zealots. And, I agree that people who believe Struts is
> >> "42" are not being realistic.
>
> >I think it goes back to a lot of people - including myself - who
> >think that zealots of any stripe are retarded, and people who
> >don't know any better get reminded - IRC-fashion - that there are
> >other alternatives.
>
> I think Struts may attract more than it share of zealots simply
> because Craig is a friendly guy and makes people feel welcome. I
> originally looked harder at Struts than other products just
> because I enjoyed Craig's demeanor on the list. And, like many
> others, I stuck around because people were helpful and made Struts
> easier to use. When my turn came, I helped others along. The cycle
> continues. People Craig and I have helped are now helping others.
> (Good thing, since both of us seem swamped lately!)
>
> This is really the essence of "Apache marketing". We do put
> community before technology. Struts isn't popular because of the
> Apache name or because of economic engineering by an evil empire.
> It's popular because we do things the Apache Way and put people
> first.
>
> Of course, people outside the community can't see that, and so
> wonder why Struts is the most popular framework when it is
> arguably not the most powerful or easiest to grasp.
>
> It's popular, because, gosh, people ~like~ us =:0)
>
> -Ted.

Something else that can make a difference is "First Impressions".  I
mean, would you stick around if the first response you get when
approaching a new community is titled "idiot.html"?

 http://jakarta.apache.org/site/idiot.html

Whether you meant to send to the wrong list or not, first impressions
are lasting impressions....hey isn't that a common phrase or something?

I've witnessed several flame wars over that link.

Well, at least we don't promote ill feelings here, however VI still
sucks!!! ;P

--
James Mitchell
Software Engineer / Struts Evangelist

Micael

This electronic mail transmission and any accompanying documents contain information belonging to the sender which may be confidential and legally privileged. This information is intended only for the use of the individual or entity to whom this electronic mail transmission was sent as indicated above. If you are not the intended recipient, any disclosure, copying, distribution, or action taken in reliance on the contents of the information contained in this transmission is strictly prohibited. If you have received this transmission in error, please delete the message. Thank you