It's all reality. Standards and non-compliant realities alike.

Take the new DOM scripting model... NS copied IE in the
getElementById()... why... because it's truly sweet. But it's not in the
spec. It's an example where the spec is not as good as the
implementation. W3C are recommendations, and should be treaded as such.
I truly feel supporting them only to the limits of their definition is
as bad in a "reality" sense as letting everything through flood-gate
style (Like an NS4 layer tag. There's a standard for ya :).

It's also a chicken and the egg situation. Specs are more of a snapshot
of the here, now and has been. Someone has to break the new ground and
implement something for the idea to be had and the need created. Like
the NS4 layer tag.

But, a committer has already said no, so everything else as they say is
"pissing in the wind".
(It's good to remind people the rules of the system, thanks Ted.)

With that, I'm going to get back to my day job.
:)

Arron.