For an example of this, consider type "hidden".  The HTML 4.01 spec defines
several attributes of the "input" element which really are only relevant to
elements which take visible space on the screen.  The specification doesn't
specify (somewhat understandably) that concrete "subclasses" of input
shouldn't use certain attributes, so as a result the Struts implementation
of the "html:hidden" tag implements several attributes that are only there
to provide compliance to the specification, but no useful value.  If the
specification allocated responsibilities to these elements more rationally,
the "input" element would have been divided into more than one real element.