On Tue, 15 Oct 2002, Edgar Dollin wrote:

> Date: Tue, 15 Oct 2002 12:12:12 -0400
> From: Edgar Dollin <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
> To: 'Struts Developers List' <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
> Subject: RE: LabelTag
>
> My apologies for not understanding this particular issue.  There are some
> liberties that by necessity need to be taken with the tag library
> definitions, i.e. styleClass for class.  I don't understand why someone
> would care if there are 'excess' tags in the tag library.  I would never
> consider looking at the tag library to determine the availability of a tag
> and if someone choose to use an attribute that is not supposed to be in the
> html, html will (is supposed to) ignore it.

I think XDoclet is cool, but the issue here is not extra tags -- it's
extra attributes.  One of our primary design principles is that Struts
tags would only contain attributes that correspond to valid attribute
names (for that particular element) in HTML/4.01 -- whether the browser
ignores extra ones or not is irrelevant, since our goal is to not emit
invalid HTML.

> My apologies in advance to the original struts designers as I assume they
> had there reasons for the design choices.  But, I have issues with the
> design of the 'html' equivalent struts tags.  They are not constructed the
> way the html specification is designed.  For example in html there is one
> tag for input with multiple types, in struts there are multiple tags (all of
> which require tld entries).  If the struts tags were constructed in a
> fashion which matched the html spec, then many of the issues with excess
> tags would go away.

Can you provide a specific example of what you mean by "constructed in a
fashion which matched the HTML spec" and how you would suggest improving
them?  Keep in mind (per my preceding response) that we don't have the
ability to modify the syntax of a TLD file, since that is defined by the
JSP Specification.  All we can possibly do is refactor the underlying base
classes.

And, even that effort seems less useful to me, if we really do migrate
towards using JSTL and JavaServer Faces in future versions of Struts.  Of
course, that shouldn't stop anyone that wants to actually do the work
(imho after 1.1 final).