good discussion, everyone ...

I've been thinking about this a little more and I'm going to backtrack a
little bit.... We will very likely be running into this same problem when
XHTML 2.0 comes out.  XHTML 2.0 will NOT be backwards compatible with XHTML
1.1 (For more on this, see the W3C site or various XHTML lists ... i don't
think we want to get into it here... =)  ).

At the point of XHTML 2.0, we obviously won't want to make everything XHTML
2.0 compliant ONLY.

Perhaps we can have some global setting that defines the DOCTYPE you want to
use:  XHTML 1.0 Strict, HTML 3.2, HTML 4.01 Transitional, etc.

All tags could then know internally whether or not they support the
specified DOCTYPE, and output the appropriate HTML.

For example, we know that in HTML 3.2, forms have a "name" attribute, but in
XHTML, they have an "id" attribute.  Struts would output whichever was
specified...  We also know that all HTML versions will support <br />, so we
can always output that.

To start, we can pick what Struts already supports, which I would guess is
HTML 4.01 Transitional.  If someone wants to support a "lower" version, they
can build it in.

Obviosuly i'm not proposing this for the 1.1 release, as it requires a lot
more thought & discussion

This would definately futureproof Struts and not tie it in to any particular
version.  Also, it would allow a struts developer to say .. "Well, all my
customers are using current User-Agents now, so let me upgrade my site to
XHTML1.0"  They can do it at a flip of a switch.

Does anyone think this is ridiculous/feasible/useful?  Is this overkill?

---
- Nayan Hajratwala
- Chikli Consulting LLC
- http://www.chikli.com