Hi,

A Dimarts 22 Octubre 2002 19:46, Martin Cooper va escriure:
> > I'd rather *not* make this kind of a potentially backwards
> > incompatible
> > change immediately before a release (unless you make it
> > conditional on the
> > "xhtml" attribute of the <html:html> tag being true).  The
> > problem is that
> > we have no way to know how many existing Struts apps depend
> > on the current
> > behavior, and this is a pretty serious change.
>
> +1
>
> I believe this is why we introduced the 'xhtml' attribute in the first
> place. The catch is that if we always emit XHTML, there is *no* workaround
> for the apps that we break, short of abandoning the Struts HTML tags.
>
> We also have to consider that not all clients are browsers. I, for one, am
> not going to claim that all HTML parsers out there are XHTML compatible.

Don't know If my opinion counts for anybody but I will say it anyway.

I'm very interested in xhtml output for struts 1.1 (we are about to begin a
project and xhtml is a requirement)  BUT  I'm with Craig and Martin.

xhtml output is not the expected behaviour of struts tags, even if all
browsers on earth support it!

Also, I remeber I've read that some people where using things like:

to get xml output. With xhtml output this would result in

        <input .... /></input>

that's not valid xml!!!!

> > I'm all for doing it post-1.1 though.
>
> If we're going to emit only XHTML, I'd prefer to see this in a 2.0 rather
> than a 1.2, because we'd be breaking backwards compatibility with earlier
> 1.x apps. Emitting either, though, controlled by the 'xhtml' attribute,
> would be fine in a 1.x - even 1.1.

As you could expect I would like to see  this in 1.1 controlled by the xhtml
attribute!!

Salut!!

-- Antoni Reus