From: David Morris [mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED]]
Sent: Friday, January 24, 2003 2:59 PM
To: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Subject: RE: [AXIS4STRUTS] The old In and Out

Hal and others,

I agree with your analysis, however I think there is still some
synergy.
First, loading presentation directly from a Web service could be useful

although this could be exposed directly through a custom tag so is
really not that helpful.  Re-encoding a SOAP request to match the
current
Struts expectation would be redundant. Allowing SOAP based input
to an action could reduce the amount of work necessary to test and
build dual input systems.

Traditionally, Struts has centered around HTML form based input, but
I can see value in things like SOAP or SWT views. One problem is that
Struts is still pretty rigid in this area and the view is generally
defined
through static JSP pages. I believe many are moving in different
directions to a more dynamic form of form definition (I know I am and
I am seeing questions that lead me to believe other are), which will
make
alternative views like SOAP and SWT more compelling.

David Morris

>>> [EMAIL PROTECTED] 01/24/03 12:54PM >>>
Is the idea behind Axis for Struts to expose Action classes as Web
Services?
Ideally Action classes don't have any business logic in them. If that
is the
case, why not expose the business tier methods as web services
directly? I
think the EJB 2.1 specification's support for exposing Session bean
methods
as web services makes a good deal of sense.

I am having a hard time seeing the benefits of Axis4Struts (aside from
the
benefits inherent in web services). It seems like a way to bail out
people
who mistakenly put valuable business logic in Action classes when the
right
thing to do would be to move that code out of the Action class.

Axis and Struts, like ice cream and sex, are both good things, but I
don't
see much benefit to combining them.

Hal