I apologize if I wasn't clear; there is absolutely no performance penalty
for any existing or future Struts applications that do not use wildcards.
Upon initialization of the RequestProcessor, it runs through each action
mapping to see if any of them use wildcards.  Only if a wildcard is found
in the path attribute, the path value is compiled and added to a list of
expressions to test.  Therefore, if wildcards aren't used at all, this
feature is completely ignored.

When processMapping() is called, the path is tested against compiled
wildcards only if the following requirements are NOT met:

1) There is no direct match for the path (usual Struts behavior)
2) There is at least one action mapping that uses wildcards

Therefore, even if your entire application relies on the "default" action
mapping, if you are not using wildcards, your application will suffer no
penalty.

As for putting it in post-1.2.0, that is fine.  I've been using the code
for over a month in my day job's application and it has been in stxx
(http://stxx.sf.net) for as long.  Furthermore, the core of it comes from
Cocoon and forms the basis for how pipelines are matched in their sitemap.
In my application, it cut the number of action mappings by 66% making
Struts tons more manageable.

But again, its completely optional and doesn't affect anyone who doesn't
use wildcards.

Don