I haven't actually look at the code yet, but as I understand it, wildcards
are not even considered unless no other match is found. In which case you
would be getting an error page anyway.

If that's the way it actually works (and I believe this was the original proposal), I'm ok with it -- the only potential performance impact for existing users would be those who rely on the "default action" capability to handle lots of requests, and that seems pretty unlikely.

Well, it indeed looks pretty unlikely at first glance. Still, we are doing exactly this...

We have built a Content Managment System (it's called XIST4C) that is based on Struts. Each normal content page (i. e. each page that is not part of an application integrated in the system) is served by a single action called DisplayAction, which is the default action. The different content pages are distinguished by ids. In order to be as search engine friendly as possible, we are encoding these ids in the url instead of appending them as query parameters.

Thus, a typical url looks like this: http://www.medi.de/llcms/web/displayAction_id_1586_.htm

I would like to be able to turn off this pattern matching feature, as performance is a very critical issue for a CMS.

--- Matthias