For the first time in many months, there was some visible progress in the
area of acceptance of submissions on tags.  Thank you David and Robert.

I do have some points that I am sure will draw fire, but I have been an
idiot on this forum for so long...

1) It is fine that the basic tags in struts don't emit non-standard html,
but why do struts tags have to 'police' the emission of non-html.  For many
intranet style projects, non standard html is important to achieve specific
required functionality.  To deny the need for such code seems strange.

2) It baffles my mind why struts insists the tags be so minimalistic and
non-creative.  I am aware of the difficulties in writing tags with the weird
life span and semi random instantiation patterns and the bugs that are
almost endemic with custom tags.  But simple tags like java-script assisted
date entry are so basic that simple implementations should be part of
struts.  Many of us have implementations of this (i.e. Matt Kruse's date
functions) but there would be no hope of a submission passing muster.

3) Lastly, there are certain class of business information that the view
needs, i.e. readonly, size.  The tags should have to ability to easily pass
this information from the business tier to the view.  Again, the hope of a
submission relating to this type of extension being accepted seems iffy,
especially since generalizing a specific implementation is a bit of effort.

Edgar