Edgar P Dollin wrote:

1) It is fine that the basic tags in struts don't emit non-standard html,
but why do struts tags have to 'police' the emission of non-html.  For many
intranet style projects, non standard html is important to achieve specific
required functionality.  To deny the need for such code seems strange.

I personally don't see why intranet applications should be exempt from following the same standards as internet applications - "breaking" standards out of convenience is not a good design practice.

The enforcement of standards by struts allows me the system architect to be certain that I am "doing the right thing" from a design perspective. And from a customer perspective, I don't want my intranet applications breaking because I upgraded from IE v6 to IE v7, now the custom little hacks I put in that worked in IE v6 suddenly don't work in IE v7.

2) It baffles my mind why struts insists the tags be so minimalistic and
non-creative.

To me, minimalism is another way of describing simplicity, and simplicity allows me to be more creative. From an art sense, simple is good :)

Regards,
Graham