On Thu, 18 Dec 2003, PILGRIM, Peter, FM wrote:
<snip />
> What kind of Spring Framework classes would you want to use in
> Struts 2.0?
>
> The BeanWrapper and the BeanFactory are interesting ideas.
> An example of configuring commons DBCP is given
> http://www.springframework.org/docs/lightweight_container.html
>
> I am not convince however of the requirement for BeanFactory.
> I can understand if you need to have massive XML configuration
> and need to dynamic generate Beans (objects) at run-time.
> It is great but other than that I can really view to the
> advantage inverse of control there that Struts or Commons BeanUtils
> combine Digester could not do itself.
>
> Struts is great because it concentrates on doing one thing well MVC.
> I wouldn't want it to branch out go into a generic framework space
> e.g Avalon, Expresso, Keel, Spring, Pico etc.
>
> The major design difficulties are abstract away the request and response
> objects from the controller actions, and also configuration of any
> other front-end objects you need along the way. To a certain extent
> Commons Chain and its context leads the way regarding the former.

I see Spring as helping Struts be better structure its internal
components, specifically using a BeanFactory implementation.  It would not
replace struts-config in any way or even be exposed directly the a Struts
application.  The struts-chain request processor implementation makes it
easy for Struts apps to plug in IoC frameworks themselves.  I totally
agree Struts shouldn't become some generic IoC framework, hence my
suggestion of using Spring.

The reason I think IoC is important for Struts 2.0 is for easier unit
testing, more componentized development, easier to plug in alternate
implementions of components like file upload, better dependency
management, less object references, and easier for the advanced user to
extend Struts in interesting ways.  Notice these advantages are targeted
for Struts developers and advanced Struts users.

Don