Quoting David Graham <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>:

> I have some real basic questions:
>
> 1.  Why is it better to be a top level Apache project rather than part of
> Jakarta.

I've seen comments from Martin and Ted that they're wanting to answer this
question more fully with a proposal, so I'll let them do most of the work.  The
short answer, though, is we will be in charge of our own releases (currently,
the Jakarta PMC is the only body legally recognized to vote on releases of
*any* software under Jakarta).  Additionally, the act of preparing the proposal
will require us to focus on defining the scope of what we think Struts is and
should be, and that's always beneficial.

If we want it (and I think we should), we can get our own top level domain
(struts.apache.org) as well, but that's icing on the cake.

> 2.  What are the requirements for becoming a top level project?

The Incubator Wiki has a few pointers, but this stuff is somewhat in flux:

http://wiki.apache.org/incubator/

or Martin might have something at their fingertips.

> Any URLs/info is appreciated.
>
> David

Craig