EJB and Struts are not the same thing. Struts is an "open source
framework for building Web applications that integrates with standard
technologies like Java Servlets, JavaBeans, and JavaServer Pages (JSP)."
Its goal is to do the mundane work of converting HTTP parameter
information into more Java-friendly models, as well as provide an MVC
architecture for your J2EE application. While you can construct an
application using struts and without EJBs, you can also construct an
application using both struts and EJBs. (For that matter, you can create
a J2EE application without struts and without EJBs, but why would you?
:).

I would suggest you pick up a printed or online copy of the J2EE
Blueprints from Sun. There, it will outline the fundamental principles
of the J2EE architecture, the different tiers, where servlets, JSPs, web
frameworks, and EJBs fit in, and even some best practices and patterns.
>From there, you can determine if EJBs fit your applications' needs.

As for whether EJBs is going to be required in the near future for you
to get a job, who's to say? But, I have found that many companies in the
Austin area have to make this decision before they begin their project,
so knowing at least how EJBs work and what the decision points are for
using or staying away from EJBs is necessary for any good software
designer (and a requirement for architects, of course). Just like any
distributed component architecture, EJBs require careful planning and
can be a painful decision to a project if the early architecture
decisions and daily decisions you make in your design are not well
thought out. I've seen projects die a horrible death from poor planning
and lack of overall architectural planning. When done right, EJBs can
make your life must easier, since there are many benefits provided to
your application that you gain for free from J2EE that you would have
had to build by hand otherwise.

HTH,
James