> Heck, we'd love it if our employer would buy an App Server but they won't
so we're using Struts
> since it's free.  But we've found out that it's very powerful and very
easy to work with.

Struts is cool, eh?  If you want to use a free app server, check out
www.jboss.org
It's open-source, fast as hell, infinitely configurable, deployment is
simplicity itself, and you can download an install zip with Tomcat already
fully integrated.  You can also configure it use your preferred JSP
engine/web server.  JBoss's auto-deployer will take an EAR file, deploy the
EJB jar file(s) within it in its EJB container, and deploy the war file(s)
contained within it to the integrated web server, faster than you can say
"No way!".  It support runtime re-deployment of EJBs and uses a
no-compilation .class file generation mechanism to generate the necessary
container-specific EJB stub & skeleton classes (very fast).  You can deploy
'vanilla' EJB jars, or customize them with JBoss-specific deployment
descriptors, your choice.  Compare THAT with Weblogic, or, horror of
horrors, WebSphere.

b.t.w, I have tested direct client integration (not web-based) using EJBs
with Weblogic, WebSphere, JBoss, and IPlanet, and JBoss wins hands down in
all categories, except for clustering, which is where Weblogic shines.
Porting from JBoss to another server is also simplicity itself, since you
can use generic EJB jars for deployment in JBoss, none of this app
server-specific required crap you have to do with the others.

cheers,

Joe Barefoot

plug from JBoss's site:

'JBoss beat out BEA and IBM to sweep the JavaWorld Editors' Choice 2002
Award for Best Java Application Server. "JBoss stopped being an application
server long time ago -- it is now officially a phenomenon," says ECA judge
Humphrey Sheil. Discover for yourself why JBoss gets more monthly downloads
than any other app-server.'