On Mon, 10 Jun 2002 [EMAIL PROTECTED] wrote:

> Date: Mon, 10 Jun 2002 13:35:33 -0400
> From: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
> To: [EMAIL PROTECTED], [EMAIL PROTECTED]
> Subject: RE: Re[2]: Database access design question
>

> ANY information on this would be a great help.
>
> I am familar with the concept of patterns and have been trying to get
> used to them and how to use them...
>
> If you describe what you came up with that would be cool too!
>
> If anyone has a good illustration of the model layers that work best I
> could use that also.  I've been thinking (up till recently) that the
> ActionClass is part of the controller, but now I am thinking of it
> almost as half controller, half view.  I am tryting to segment it out to
> mostly setting up the data to be sent to the view, and handling input so
> the controller acts correctly.
>
> My head hurts sometimes, but the voices tell me it will be okay...

Actions are definitely in the controller tier, although in small apps
people tend to embed business logic directly in them (which makes them
somewhat part of the model tier as well).

The only time Actions are part of the presentation tier is when you are
generating the output directly from the Action (such as rendering some XML
content or a dynamically generated graph) rather than forwarding to a
presentation tier resource for the final output.

ActionForms, by the way, *are* part of the presentation tier -- their only
purpose in life is to represent the server side state of client user
interface components.

Craig