I'm wondering the same!

Would it be possible to name the jar files like so

commons-beanutils-1.4.jar
commons-collections-2.0.jar
commons-digester-1.3.jar
commons-logging-1.0.1.jar
commons-pool-1.0.jar
struts-1.1-b1.jar
etc?

I know this isn't a struts problem and it would be a bad idea for the struts

team to start renaming the jar files from other Jakarta projects. But would
it be possible for all Jakarta projects to follow this standard? That would
make my and I'm sure a lot of other people's lives easier.

Is this a bad idea, if so why?
I know it would make the creation of build scripts a little harder, but it
would still be possible to create them.

The other option is the META-INF/MANIFEST.MF file.
Most jar files contain there version number in them but not all.
For example Version 2.0 of commons-collections.jar manifest file contains
'Implementation-Version: 1.1-dev' and not 'Implementation-Version: 2.0'

While struts.jar version 1.1-b1 contains 'Implementation-Vendor: Apache
Software Foundation'
Would it be possible to enforce this a bit more?

Just me 2 (euro) cents.