As alluded, the stxx extension does a nice job of this by integrating
with Struts. Though, I'd say the idea of a completely seperate servlet
(a la Velocity) sounds cleaner.

http://jakarta.apache.org/struts/resources/views.html

The Expresso/Struts framework also supports XML/XSL directly.

http://www.jcorporate.com/

XML/XSL is going to win out in the long-run, but we're all still
transitioning. To date, the major complaint has been performance, but,
as mentioned, the new parsers are addressing that.

A speed-optimized servlet that used an external configuration file to
specify the stylesheets (a la stxx) would be a definite winner.
Especially if it could be used with or without Struts (like Velocity and
JSPs).

-Ted.

neal wrote:

> Alright, so if the purpose of Struts and ASP.NET is:
>
> 1. To seperate code from content
> 2. Make the presentation layer completely declarative
>
> The why not just write a servlet that instead for forward to display JSPs,
> looks up a different XSLT for display based upon the action class being
> requested ... and instead of having to pass all your data to the
> presentation servlet in beans ... you just transform your XML data using
> that XSLT.  Seems to achieve the same goals and architecturally removes a
> layer if you're going to use XML at all.  (Just servlet and XSL instead of
> Servlet, JSP, and XSL).
>
> ??????
>
> Any thoughts??
> Neal

Ted Husted, Husted dot Com, Fairport NY US
co-author, Java Web Development with Struts
Order it today:
<http://husted.com/struts/book.html>